Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

From Oliver with Love


Thank you to everyone who sent cards, emails, phone messages and texts full of warm wishes over the holidays. It was a wonderful Christmas on the Fisher farm.
One of the notes I received was from Stinky the kitten, who has been renamed Oliver by his adoptive humans. Here it is, in its entirety:
“Still tired from the move – though adjusting well to my new digs.
From what I can tell, the “holiday” season is upon us.  This time of year seems very special – the landlords have set up a beautiful tree and have decorated it with wonderful “toys” for me to bat and swat around the living room. Honestly, every time I knock down one of these “toys”, the landlords pick it back up and return it to the tree – I’m assuming for my later amusement.
I’m enjoying spending all this quality time with my new found family.  They seem nice but, if I were to make a small comment, they’re a little cheap with the treats for my taste.  Don’t get me wrong, they feed me well, but all I want are those treats!!!  I could eat them all day every day - if only they would let me.  I’ve started meowing in protest … I’ll let you know how that works for me.
The new landlords are cool.  They pretty much let me do what I want.  One of them even looks like me – though he’s much bigger than me and makes these weird barking noises - his name is Digory and we sometimes sleep together.  Contrary to popular belief, I’ve never woken up with any fleas.  He’s a veteran so, for the time being, I tend to copy his moves and his sounds – unfortunately, without much success.  The best I can manage sounds like a guttural sneeze.   The other two landlords think it’s cute when I do this but they also really hope I’m not coming down with something. 
Last week they took me outside to play.  Let’s just say, things were not how I remembered them.  First of all, there was all this white stuff on the ground – I’m not going to lie to you, it gave me paws.  Second, there were no lambs, donkeys or horses anywhere.  Being new to the area; I chose to stick close to home.  Besides, I don’t want to wander too far from my treats!!!
Nowadays, I get most of my sleep (see picture hereunder) while the landlords are away.  Playtime mostly happens when the landlords get home from this thing called “work.”  (Whatever it is, it must be fun because they always seem to be in a great mood when they get home to me)  Because I feel that playtime is never long enough, I tend to indulge in a few extra rounds at night.  That’s when the landlords are subjected to the wrath of my Santa Claws.  For some reason, however, this behaviour is being discouraged. 
Overall, things are great and I’m fitting in quite nicely in this new household.
Please extend my holiday “best wishes” to everyone on the farm (especially my brothers and sisters). 
Meow for now, Stinky – a.k.a. Oliver.”
We have two more kittens in the house ready to be adopted, if anyone is interested. Please feel free to visit my blog: www.theaccidentalfarmwife.blogspot.com to see their photos.
As we head into the New Year, it’s time to clear out the cobwebs, clean out the closets and attempt to stick to our resolutions. I will be doing my annual donation of “stuff I don’t need” to charity, and getting down on bended knee to dust baseboards. My resolution is to avoid sugar. Let’s see if I can make that one last until at least Easter.

No comments: